Join Our Staff
NEW ROOTS IS NOT AN ORDINARY SCHOOL.
THANKS TO OUR EXTRAORDINARY TEACHERS!
At New Roots, we are transforming the high school experience because of a team of teachers who are motivated by their desire to cultivate the potential of young people from all walks of life. Together, we are creating a new model of secondary education in service to our youth as we contribute to building a more just and sustainable community.
New Roots teachers:
- Are passionate advocates and mentors for youth, particularly those who may be at risk of failure in other school settings
- Create powerful educational opportunities that reflect the best their discipline has to offer an education for social justice and sustainability
- Are intellectual risk-takers and reflective practitioners who develop innovative curriculum that puts students at the center
- Believe in the power of positive discipline within community
- Embrace diversity in all of its forms—and the hard work of creating a truly inclusive community that respects all members
- Embrace the need for rigorous ongoing professional development, and for being part of the school development process
- Want to be part of a team of administrators and teachers working together to break the mold
- Embrace our shared values, and are willing to hold themselves and their colleagues accountable to them
- Have the patience, energy, perseverance and endurance for the long haul
- Are invested in the future of Ithaca as a sustainable community, and see themselves and their work as part of this larger community
- Are all of this and more, even on the days when they feel a little less than super human
New Roots teachers are transforming the lives and possibilities of the young people we serve.
Read on for information about opportunities to join our team!
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
Interested in joining the New Roots team? Check out these current openings. To learn more or apply, please click on the link below the title of the open position. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Secondary English Teacher
Secondary Mathematics Teacher
Secondary Spanish Teacher
Sustainability Science Teacher
Secondary Social Studies Teacher
Secondary Special Education Teacher
Secondary Music Teacher Part-Time
Secondary Art Teacher Part-Time
New Roots Charter School is dedicated to maximizing the potential of each student and empowering young people as leaders and entrepreneurs for a just and sustainable future. The teachers and administrators who are successful here are those who have developed a personal and professional mission committed to sustainability education and social justice. Experience in urban and sustainability education is a plus.
All of our courses and projects feature this systems-thinking orientation, and student engagement in proactive measures to support our community's transition to more just and sustainable social, economic and natural systems that enhance our quality of life. Our preferred candidates will have experience preparing students for Regents-level courses.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until open positions are filled. All employees at New Roots Charter School are subject to finger printing and background checks as required by New York State law.
A sustainable community is a diverse, inclusive network of people. New Roots Charter School is an equal opportunity employer-applicants will be considered solely on the basis of qualifications and ability, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.